Re: [squid-users] Squid proxy setup on home network (Telus Optik internet/tv)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:25:28 +1200

 On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:12:23 -0600, me wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Looking for a little bit of advice.  Trying to setup a Squid Proxy
> server on Ubuntu 10 server at home.  Would like to keep the Squid box
> on the same network as the computer on the LAN are on1 network.
> (192.168.1.x)
>
> Internet => Actiontec (v1000h wifi router, DHCP) => wired set top
> boxes for TV/desktop/laptops(wifi)/
> Grandstream HT 502 for voip
>
> 1) What is the best way to setup this?
> 2) I cannot forward ALL my LAN traffic to the Squid box currently as
> the actiontec does not have that feature.
>
> Would like the desktops/laptops to use the Squid proxy and also to be
> able to bypass proxy if playing adhoc.
>
> Was able to setup squid proxy (2 NICS) by installing a switch on one
> of the router ports and using another network segment (192.168.2.x)
> but that only covered the wired computers attached to the switch.
>
> Test setup was as follows
> Internet => Actiontec (v1000h wifi router, DHCP) =>
> laptops(wifi)/Grandstream HT 502 for voip
> Actiontec router (same router as above) => switch => desktop
>
> Thanks.

 The Actiontec datasheet indicates "full bridge control". So if you are
 lucky it will be able to bridge the wifi packets to an internal box (ie
 Squid box) instead of just out the WAN uplink. This is the killer
 problem with most wifi+router integrated boxes.

 I've usually had to get a second box and physically wire Squid between
 the uplink gateway box and the wifi device. The key points are getting
 both wired LAN and wifi packets to the Squid box without using NAT/NAPT
 on the router device, and then getting the Squid packets past that out
 to the uplink.

 Thats my /3c worth. Sorry it could not be more helpful.

 If you DO have any kind of success, we would like to hear about it.

 Amos