[squid-users] Cache Peer Round Robin Setup

From: Matthew Scalf <matt_at_izoox.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:06:33 -0600

I am running squid 3.2. I started with this so I could use the random
acl to "load balance" requests across 20 outgoing IP addresses. I
definitely got that working, but what I found was that the randomness
across the 20 IP's wasn't very even;y distributed. So I opted to setup
the more complex cache peer configuration using round robin so it
would be equally distributed. I now have that working and when I test
this I get some interesting results. I basically have a php script
that connects and requests another php script that checks the ip
address and feeds the result back to the main script. If I set this to
run 100 times, the ip's are equally distributed. This is the same all
the way up to about 900 runs. Once you hit that sweet spot, between
800 and 900, the distribution becomes slightly uneven. By a very small
percentage, but uneven still. What is causing this? I am scratching my
head because it's not like one of the peers stops accepting
connections completely, otherwise the results would be more off. I
have it setup so that there is a main squid instance listening on a
public ip and port. Then I have a second squid instance listening on
an internal port for the 20 ip's. I origionally tried to setup squid
so that the same instance provided both the parent and child peers,
but the acl's for that become to complex to manage efficiently. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt