Re: [squid-users] Cache Peer Round Robin Setup

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:50:52 +1200

 On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:06:33 -0600, Matthew Scalf wrote:
> I am running squid 3.2. I started with this so I could use the random
> acl to "load balance" requests across 20 outgoing IP addresses. I
> definitely got that working, but what I found was that the randomness
> across the 20 IP's wasn't very even;y distributed. So I opted to
> setup

 ACLRandom uses your OS random() function. It is unlikely, but possible
 that function is producing non-random numbers.

 It fetches a new random value with every test against the ACL. So ...
 if you call it multiple times in a row you need to be aware of the
 mathematical effects of multiplying probabilities together.
 This is why the example configuration #3 has (1:3 vs 1:2 vs everything)
 to split evenly into thirds. (NP: I've just corrected a typo in example
 2 which should have shown the same).

> the more complex cache peer configuration using round robin so it
> would be equally distributed. I now have that working and when I test
> this I get some interesting results. I basically have a php script
> that connects and requests another php script that checks the ip
> address and feeds the result back to the main script. If I set this
> run 100 times, the ip's are equally distributed. This is the same all
> the way up to about 900 runs. Once you hit that sweet spot, between
> 800 and 900, the distribution becomes slightly uneven. By a very
> small
> percentage, but uneven still. What is causing this? I am scratching
> my
> head because it's not like one of the peers stops accepting
> connections completely, otherwise the results would be more off. I

 "plain" round-robin or weighted-round-robin ? or with weight=N bias?