[squid-users] Re: Should I see a massive slowdown when chaining squid => privoxy

From: Harry Putnam <reader_at_newsguy.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:50:21 -0500

Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> writes:

[...]

Harry wrote:
>> What kind of things should I do to start tracking down what is
>> hampering the connections so bad.

Amos replied:
> This may help...
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1854196,00.asp

After creating a user.js file in the mozilla profile default
containing:
------- 8< snip ---------- 8< snip ---------- 8<snip -------

  user_pref("network.http.max-connections", 96);
  user_pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server", 32);
  user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy", 24);
  user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 12);

------- 8< snip ---------- 8< snip ---------- 8<snip -------

As suggested at the above citation, then with only privoxy as proxy
with the config I've previously posted a link to.... cleared cache
restarted firefox, cleared cache again and attempted this URL:

    http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Between 17-19 seconds
------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
Then trying the connection with no proxy:

kill firefox, start FF, clear cache, Type in
  http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Connection was fully completed in 8 seconds again.
------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------

Now trying the first experiment (privoxy alone as proxy) but this time
with no `user.js' file:

Connection is completed in 16 seconds plus.
------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------

Now with user.js in place but no proxy

Connection completes in 8 seconds

------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
And since this is a squid group.

Proxy set to squid alone (user.js in place)

The connection to about 30 seconds for roughly 60% of that ford cite
to load. I abandoned the completing the connection after 2 full
minutes.

------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
Then to be fair, I removed the user.js hacks.

Restarted firefox, (with proxy set to squid alone and no user.js).
First, it took a goodly while for my home page (goggle.com/ig) to
load, cleared the cache and typed in:

  http://www.ford-trucks.com

About 60% loaded in 12 seconds and completed in about 35 seconds.

------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------

Apparently the `user.js' hack isn't all that helpful. And in fact
appears to be something of a hindrance.

(Note: I ran these experiments repeatedly.. the results shown above
are about the average results obtained)

I don't know what to make of it all, I guess my configs are pretty
weak being fairly default for both privoxy and squid, but so far it
appears that both squid and privoxy cause serious slowdown of page

My full configs:

,----

`----