RE: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

From: Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:35:24 +0000

> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:35:28 -0700
> From: david_at_lang.hm
> To: bodycare_5_at_live.com
> CC: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Subject: RE: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues
>
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Jenny Lee wrote:
>
> >> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:02:23 -0700
> >> From: david_at_lang.hm
> >> To: bodycare_5_at_live.com
> >> CC: squid3_at_treenet.co.nz; squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> >> Subject: RE: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

> >> I'll post my configs when I get back to the office, but one thing is that
> >> if you send requests faster than they can be serviced the pending requests
> >> build up until you start getting timeouts. so I have to tinker with the
> >> number of requests that can be sent in parallel to keep the request rate
> >> below this point.
> >>
> >> note that when I removed the long list of ACLs I was able to get this 13K
> >> requests/sec rate going from machine A to squid on machine B to apache on
> >> machine C so it's not a localhost thing.
> >>
> >> getting up to the 13K rate on apache does require doing some tuning and
> >> tweaking of apache, stock configs that include dozens of dynamically
> >> loaded modules just can't achieve these speeds. These are also fairly
> >> beefy boxes, dual quad core opterons with 64G ram and 1G ethernet
> >> (multiple cards, but I haven't tried trunking them yet)
> >>
> >> David Lang
> >

> > Ok, I am assuming that persistent-connections are on. This doesn't simulate any real life scenario.
> >
> > I would like to know if anyone can do more than 500 reqs/sec with persistent connections off.
>
> I'm not using persistant connections. I do this same sort of testing to
> validate various proxies that don't support persistant connections.
>
> I'm remembering the theoretical max of the TCP stack (from one source IP
> to one destination IP) as being ~16K requests/sec, but I don't have
> references to point to at the moment.
>
> David Lang

With tcp_fin_timeout set at theoretical minimum of 12 secs, we can do 5K req/s with 64K ports.

Setting tcp_fin_timeout had no effect for me. Apparently there is conflicting / outdated information everywhere and I could not lower TIME_WAIT from its default of 60 secs which is hardcoded into include/net/tcp.h. But I doubt this would have any effect when you are constantly loading the machine.

Making localhost to localhost connections didn't help either.

I am not a network guru, so of course I am probably doing things wrong. But no matter how wrong you do stuff, they cannot escape brute-forcing :) And I have tried everything!

I Can't do more than 450-470 reqs/sec even with 200K in "/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_max" and "/sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize". This allows me bypass "CONNTRACK table full" issues, but my ports run out.

Could you be kind enough to specify which OS you are using and if you are running the benches for extended periods of time?

Any TCP tuning options you are doing also would be very useful. Of course, when you are back in the office.

As I mentioned, we find your work on acls and workers valuable.

Jenny