RE: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 04:44:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Jenny Lee wrote:

> With tcp_fin_timeout set at theoretical minimum of 12 secs, we can do 5K req/s with 64K ports.
>
> Setting tcp_fin_timeout had no effect for me. Apparently there is conflicting / outdated information everywhere and I could not lower TIME_WAIT from its default of 60 secs which is hardcoded into include/net/tcp.h. But I doubt this would have any effect when you are constantly loading the machine.
>
> Making localhost to localhost connections didn't help either.
>
> I am not a network guru, so of course I am probably doing things wrong. But no matter how wrong you do stuff, they cannot escape brute-forcing :) And I have tried everything!
>
> I Can't do more than 450-470 reqs/sec even with 200K in "/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_max" and "/sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize". This allows me bypass "CONNTRACK table full" issues, but my ports run out.
>
> Could you be kind enough to specify which OS you are using and if you are running the benches for extended periods of time?
>
> Any TCP tuning options you are doing also would be very useful. Of course, when you are back in the office.
>
> As I mentioned, we find your work on acls and workers valuable.

I'm running Debian with custom built kernels.

In the testing that I have done over the years, I have had tests at 6000+
connections/sec through forking proxies (that only log when they get a new
connection, with connection rates calculated by the logs of the proxy so I
know that they aren't using persistant or keep-alive connections)

unfortunantly the machine in my lab with squid on it is unplugged right
now. I can get at the machines running ab and apache remotely, so I can
hopefully get logged in and give you the kernel settings in the next
coupld of days (things are _extremely_ hectic through most of monday, so
it'll probably be monday night or tuesday before I get a chance)

David Lang