[squid-users] NTLM-auth with computers that are not in the domain

From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr+squid_at_g.jct.ac.il>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:23:10 +0300

Hi,
We recently switched to an NTLM based setup and tehre is one quite
annoying fluke for users that are not in the domain, when they open
their browser they get multiple auth requests.

This is probably because the browser issues multiple requests and
therefor gets multiple 407s back from squid, is there any way to avoid
this? To make sure that the user only needs to type his/her password
once (if they don't make a mistake)?

For a user like me that when opening the browser is restoring tens if
not hunders of tabs the amount of auth requests can be quite
frustrating.

A different question:
I shortened the shutdown_lifetime to 5 seconds (from the default 30
seconds) so that downtime when I change a setting that requires a
restart instead of a reload is shorter, is there any reason to not
shorten this (possibly even to 1 or 0?)?
I can live with a download having to be done again but half the campus
not browsing is much less ideal...

Thanks and regards,
Eli