Re: [squid-users] "The server is refusing connections" occurs only on gmail.com

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:08:55 +1200

On 29/06/11 12:40, Jay wrote:
> Could you give me some advise, pls?
>
> I am using both squid and dansguardian on a linux box which has been running a
> few years and setup by someone else. Now, I need to do some work on this server
> box.
>
> When users open browser, it asks username and password. This has been working
> fine,so I am not talking about authentication.
>
> There are two user groups and group1 can go to gmail.com but group2 cannot.
>
> Now, users assigned to group2 wants to access to gmail.com.
>
> "grep -R "gmail.com" /etc/" does not help, unfortunately.
> I have been looking around /etc/squid/ and /etc/dansguardian/ but cannot find
> anything that blocks gmail.com for group2.
>
> I am sure that it is not blocked by dansguardian because browser shows message
> from dansguardian if it is done by dansguardian.
> Browser shows ""The server is refusing connections" that can be displayed by
> squid I guess.

So you _know_ its not DG but only guess that it is Squid. Did you check
the error page received back to see what software produced it? if squid
did the browser received HTTP headers will contain the name of the squid
error template. The page footer should also say "Generated by blah".
With the non-visible source also having the error page template name.

"The server is refusing connections" is not a part of the squid
templates. So if it is a squid page that message has been received from
somewhere else. It says that gmail itself are rejecting connections.

> Furthermore, I checked access.log for gmail.com by logging on as a user who
> belong to group2.
>
> "tailf /var/log/squid/access.log" and tailf /var/log/dansguardian/access.log"
> but cannot show anything.

Sign that requests may not be going through either. Which is a possibility.

> On the other hand, when I access to such as cnn.com, it shows real time info.
>
> Ummmm......
>
> I need help, pls?
>

> Jay

Logging in to squid? or to the gmail website itself?

The quick answer seems to be add or reassign users from group2 to
group1. Beyond that we will need to know details of the squid.conf.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.9 and 3.1.12.3