Re: [squid-users] reverse squid cache configuration

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:40:27 +1200

On 04/07/11 20:40, Romain wrote:
> Ok, so even if I have about 150 000 clients making arround 20 "4xx"
> requests / day on 1500 Squid servers which relay its on 4 Squid
> servers and then on 1 Apache, is it not a big deal for the last one?
> (it's almost equal to 34 requests / sec)

34 req/sec? no that is not a big deal. Apache at the bottom of the
hierarchy is the slowest link, with modern hardware it has several
hundred req/sec capacity on just about any load.

Still I can see that its annoying.

NP: So far as I can tell from here you have taken the Squid-2.6 config
as far as it can go. The requirement of not having different versions
of Squid active at once is creating the main blocker problem. A
migration starting with even just those bottom 4 Squid would enable some
of the needed configurations to take place.
  IMHO 2.7 should be the next direction taken. It is a drop-in
replacement for 2.6 (minimal adjustments to the existing setup) and
provides the "act-as-origin" on http_port lines and many of the caching
improvements.

Cheers, and good luck.

Amos

--