Re: [squid-users] maximum_object_size per domain or other request checks

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:41:38 +1200

 On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:11:54 -0430, Robert Marcano wrote:
> I am trying to configure Squid so it can cache big files from a
> specific domain. The option maximum_object_size is a global value for
> all cache_dir available. So I can increase it but my problem is that
> do not want to allow caching of big files from another sites.
>
> Tried increasing maximum_object_size and then cache option to test
> the response and the allow or deny the caching with no success, Squid
> can not check the real response body size, and testing content-length
> header is not always possible (not present on every response)
>
> Can this be done?

 No. Cacheability is decided before the object size is known. The cache
 size limits can only consider where to store them. There is no re-check
 to discard already stored objects based on size after the transfer is
 completed.

 Problem is that Squid backs each transfer with a disk file in case the
 data becomes too big.

 Patches welcome.

> do I need to setup more cache hierarchies for this?
> I am trying to run a single Squid instance for simplicity.
> reply_body_max_size does not help because I do not want to limit
> downloads to anybody, I just want to limit caching of some big files
> not all
>
> Thanks in advance

 Amos