Re: [squid-users] Squid caching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:14:18 +1200

On 24/07/11 18:54, Prasanth Madhavan wrote:
> Hello sir,
>
> I just needed an annswer to a simple question.
>
> How to configure squid in such a way that it will cache all the initial
> requests to a website and use that cache forever? Like saving the
> website in local box and use that rather than the internet so that i can
> always have a static reply from a server(in this case squid) and not a
> dynamic.

You must convince webmasters around the world never to change their
websites. Very hard.

Unless you have disabled caching Squid will attempt to cache for as long
as possible (not forever though). Later versions do better than older
versions.

Saving a copy on a local box and loading websites from there will not
even work for very long. Dynamic sites now have code that runs in your
browser doing live requests in the background. These will usually break
as the site changes or things they were supposed to do fail to happen on
your static copy.

So, why do you want to attempt this? and what version of squid?

Perhapse we can help you find alternatives that will work for your needs.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.10