Re: [squid-users] cache_peer allow-miss

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:59:47 +1200

On 29/07/11 17:40, senthil kumar wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We have three squid servers for testing and for our requirement we
> configured as follows,
>
> squid1.conf
> cache_peer squid2 sibling 80 3130
> squid2.conf
> cache_peer squid3 sibling 80 3130 allow-miss
>
> We are getting the following error "Valid document was not found in
> the cache and 'only-if-cached' directive was specified", When
> squid1 makes request to squid2 and in turn squid2 makes request to
> squid3

Which squid version?

> The setup works fine when we use allow-miss option. We may include few
> other squid servers as sibling in future. In this case allow-miss tag
> will cause any forwarding loop?

Yes it will.

> or it causes any trouble?

You trade only-if-cached messages, for forwarding-loop errors or "slow"
requests looping around consuming resources at multiple peers.

> Can any one explain how allow-miss?

In the configuration above it permits squid2 to send a request through
squid3 even if squid2 was informed (via ICP MISS) that it did not exist
there.
  squid1 adds the only-if-cached to prevent looping, but squid2 ignores
that. Somehow it advertised to squid1 that it had the object when it did
not, its not clear why.

Amos

--
Please be using