Re: [squid-users] Installing Squid from Binary

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:54:05 +1200

On 18/08/11 17:09, Justin Lawler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We want to upgrade squid to a greater number of FD's. We want to do a build on an off-line environment to do testing on, and then deploy that executable in production.
>
> Is this possible? From all the articles I've seen so far, the only way to install squid is to rebuild on the same machine, then do a 'make install'.

Machine is not a limit. Otherwise OS distributors like Microsoft, Apple
or Debian would not be able to provide binary packages.

The only fixed requirement is that the same CPU architecture and a
compatible software environment is used to build. For example you can't
built a i686 CPU version of Squid and run it on an ARM CPU.

The CPU requirement is more flexible at build than most people think
though. If you don't have a suitable machine for building on look up
cross-compiling. It's slightly tricky with Squid (due to bugs in our
code) but compilers often have options to build code for other CPUs.

The software enviromment requirement is rather rigid. Its so that
libraries etc you will use on the destination machine can be detected
properly by ./configure during build. You can eliminate most features,
but not add any unless you have the right build dependencies are present.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.10