[squid-users] Squid Unable to Serve While Rebuilding Disk Cache After Unclean Shutdown

From: Adam Vollrath <adam_at_endpoint.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:01:19 -0400

My squid instances are frequently restarted uncleanly (embedded system,
long story), and each time they try to rebuild their cache with the
message "Rebuilding storage in /var/spool/squid3".

However, I'd much prefer them to simply drop all that cache and start
again fresh, because the time they're unable to handle requests while
rebuilding is unacceptable.

Is there a way I can configure squid to ignore an inconsistent cache? Or
have it somehow serve requests while rebuilding? I could add something
like `rm /var/spool/squid3/*` to the init script, but that'd be terribly
kludgey.

Our squid.conf is very similar to the one posted here:
https://code.google.com/p/liquid-galaxy/source/browse/trunk/gnu_linux/etc/squid/squid.conf