Re: [squid-users] Re: two outgoing gateway and two parent proxy with load balancing in squid proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:21:20 +1200

On 16/09/11 02:10, spacephai wrote:
> hanks for your reply sir,
>
> So just using
>
> cache_peer 1.2.3.4 parent 3128 3130 name=3DparentA allow-miss round-robin n=
> o-query
>
> cache_peer 5.6.7.8 parent 3128 3130 name=3DparentB allow-miss
> round-robin no-query
>
> can solve my problem?

Yes.

> What is the best way to multihome router with two outgoing gateway and
> two parent proxy with load balancing in squid proxy server?
>
> May i know that can i not load balance two outgoing gateway and two
> parent proxy with load balancing in one squid proxy server ?
> If one server is not possible in can use two squid proxy server .

Depends on your request rates and traffic and hardware. One is usually
sufficient, but at high bandwidths (over 50Mbps) request rates (over
600req/sec) more could be needed.

> If shorewall is not ok with squid.I can use another script based
> method using gwping script from

The problem as I explained earlier is that load balancing separately at
two completely different levels of abstraction which do not communicate
their decisions is guaranteed problems.

> http://nitishkumar.net/2009/06/07/linux-router-utilizing-multiple-dsl-nitis=
> h-kumar/
> and
>
> http://tech.gaeatimes.com/index.php/archive/how-to-load-balancing-failover-=
> with-dual-multi-wan-adsl-cable-connections-on-linux/
>
> May you be happy and wealthy and
> peaceful
> with best regards

You could use any one of those systems including shorewall, if you are
happy to NOT base the load balancing on HTTP request details inside
Squid. Squid becomes a regular proxy believing it only has one outgoing
connection. The layer underneath does the connection switching. But then
its very hard to setup Squid with parent proxy.

  If you want to make a stab at doing it anyway I suggest reading up and
knowing in great details what the systems (Squid, DNS, TCP, iptables)
are doing for the connection before trying. So you can see where the
areas of possible and impossible are.
  "Squid: The Definitive Guide" has a lot of detail on Squid with its
use of DNS, these areas have not changed much since the book was
written. Although TCP handling has. Netfilter have some great resources
on how iptables and TCP works.

Amos

--
Please be using