Re: [squid-users] http to https proxy converter how to?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:37:49 +1200

On 15/09/11 04:20, nemus wrote:
> Hi I want to create a proxy which encrypts all http traffic to https
>
> Can squid do this ?

Yes, no, and maybe. All at the same time.

Yes - Squid can encrypt traffic. Requires OpenSSL AND a cache_peer link
with "ssl" flags to another proxy which accepts SSL encrypted input (ie
https_port)

No - Squid cannot make the browser use SSL in its communication.

Maybe - Squid can emmit 305 status responses requesting the browser use
a proxy at an https:// location. This has almost no browser support last
time I checked.

Maybe - you can intercept traffic and pass it down an encrypted
cache_peer link.

Overall I think with todays technology its easiest to use a machine
level interface (VPN tunnel) to do the encryption. You can use these for
any traffic and even if you like, point browser->proxy traffic through
one to a Squid https_port.

> What would this process be called?

"Encryption". As in; "SSL Encryption", "transport layer encryption",
"encryption gateway", "encrypted proxy tunnel", "encrypted peer", etc.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.11