Re: [squid-users] Huge Squid

From: Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz <luis.daniel.lucio_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 08:42:59 -0500

2011/9/16 Lucas Brasilino <lucas.brasilino_at_gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
>> I already try to find some information in wiki, but without success.
>>
>> I have a opportunity to configure a squid to 20000 users.
>>
>> Can a huge machine handle this? I just wanna block some sites and caching.
>>
>> Is there some doc to help me with this?
>
> This one should help:
>
> http://pt.scribd.com/doc/7358805/Apres-Squid
>
> regards
> Lucas Brasilino

Rafael,

Squid of course can handle that kind of clients, if you are not going
to place any ICAP capabilities, a dual core with about 8GB or RAM of
course can do that job. Only take in mind next points:

- Too many rules may slow your preformance,
- Squid use short circuit, so it doesn't analyze hole rule if one ACL
is false, take this in mind to place most probable ACL's first in your
http_access line
- if you are going to use authentication, dont place AUTH ACL in the
way until you are going to use it,
- IF you are going to use some kind of URL filtering such as
url_rewrite or ICAP dont pass ALL content, only things that would be
useful to filter traffic

If you need more help, contact me offiine

LD
http://www.twitter.com/ldlq