[squid-users] Splash page -- detect if auto-proxy config worked?

From: Dale Mahalko <dmahalko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:41:53 -0500

I am trying to set up a two-layer proxy for public mobile devices,
offering transparent access for the mobile devices that are too stupid
to auto-detect proxy settings via proxy.pac / wpad .

I want an easy way for end-users to find out if their device is using
transparent or auto-detected settings, after they have connected to
the public wireless with no password.

The only way I can see for doing that is to have a splash page that
attempts an HTTPS connection when they first connect, using that to
find out if auto-detect worked or not. And if it fails, then I can
have a way to direct them to IT support to see what needs to be done
to get proxied access working.

I don't really like this method though, because if they are on the
transparent proxy, there will be a long delay until the HTTPS attempt
finally times out and fails.

Is there some established way to for a splash page to quickly identify
if transparent or auto-detect proxy settings are being used? Can a web
browser page somehow interact with the squid cache to discover this?

- Dale Mahalko