Re: [squid-users] Splash page -- detect if auto-proxy config worked?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:51:17 +1300

 On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:41:53 -0500, Dale Mahalko wrote:
> I am trying to set up a two-layer proxy for public mobile devices,
> offering transparent access for the mobile devices that are too
> stupid
> to auto-detect proxy settings via proxy.pac / wpad .
>
> I want an easy way for end-users to find out if their device is using
> transparent or auto-detected settings, after they have connected to
> the public wireless with no password.
>
> The only way I can see for doing that is to have a splash page that
> attempts an HTTPS connection when they first connect, using that to
> find out if auto-detect worked or not. And if it fails, then I can
> have a way to direct them to IT support to see what needs to be done
> to get proxied access working.

 When using squid for this you should have different http_port entries
 in Squid for handling forward-proxy traffic (auto-detect worked) and
 intercepted traffic (auto-detect failed).

 You can use the http_port name= parameter and a myportname type ACL to
 detect whether auto-detect worked before the splash page exists.

 Amos