Re: [squid-users] Facebook page very slow to respond

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:47:27 +0100

On 08/10/2011 20:25, Wilson Hernandez wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Well, our cache.log looks ok. No real problems there but, will be
> monitoring it closely to check if there is something unusual.
>
> As for the DNS, we have local DNS server inside our LAN that is used
> by 95% of the machines. This server uses our provider's servers as
> well as google's:
>
> forwarders {
> 8.8.8.8;
> 196.3.81.5;
> 196.3.81.132;
> };
>
> Our users are just driving me crazy with calls regarding facebook: "is
> slow", "doesn't work", and a lot other complaints...

Occasionally you will find that Google DNS servers get "poisoned" and
take you to a non local facebook page. I guess run dig against specific
servers and be sure you are ending up on a server which doesn't have
some massive ping to it? I spent a while debugging a similar problem
where the BBC home page got suddenly slow on me because I was being
redirected to some german akamai site rather than the UK one...

This is likely to make a difference between snappy and sluggish though,
not "dead"...

Good luck

Ed W