Re[2]: [squid-users] Non-transparent port works, transparent doesn't

From: zozo zozo <flam4_at_mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:23:44 +0400

> > Does it mean that now intercepting squid can only work on the gateway machine?
>
> No. It means that routers like yours need to be configured for policy
> routing (aka "packet forwarding") instead of NAT port mapping (aka "port
> forwarding").
>
> This config was written particularly for the *WRT use case (but applies
> to any Linux router):
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/IptablesPolicyRoute

Can you please make it even more clear:
Squid 3.2 can be used on a separate machine and be transpanrent only if it's directly connected to the routing machine, right?
Because routing tables can only send packets to gateways directly connected to them?
I.e. I can't put my transparent proxy to internet, I need it to be in same IP space as my network interface?

Could I do it in 3.1?