Re: [squid-users] Squid cache 'inside' webservice

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 09:43:11 +1300

 On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 20:11:35 +0100 (CET), bernd-dus wrote:
> Hi Squid-Users,
>
> I wonder wether it would be possible to setup a Squid cache 'inside'
> a webservice.
>
> Amongst others a client sends two URLs to a (remote) webservice.
> The webservice retrieves the data from the URLs, processes the data
> and sends the resulting file to the client.
> The Squid proxy should cache the data of the remote URL-servers (and
> the result file) 'inside' the webservice.

 The answer depends on whether the web service supports using a proxy.

 It also depends a bit on what type of "processes the data"? Squid is
 designed to avoid filtering and manipulation of content itself, by
 sending the traffic to other (ICAP, eCAP) services which exclusively do
 that type of action on it.

 So depending on the type of processing and capabilities of the web
 service. Squid itself may be the frontend decision maker service or the
 backend cache service.

 Amos