Re: [squid-users] squidnt 2.7Stable8 - NTLM/negotiate user authproblems with 2008R2/Win7

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:11:41 +1300

 On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 07:41:57 -0800 (PST), franzo318 wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> installation: squidnt 2.7-8 on Win2008R2(domainmember srv)
> clients: win7/other 2008R2 Server
> configuration: with user authentication ->
> auth_param ntlm program c:/squid/libexec/mswin_ntlm_auth.exe
>
> result: proxy ist not able to authenticate the client request because
> it can
> not handle the default win7/2008 R2 security setting "LAN
> Manager-Authenticaton-level"
> it would only work, if this setting would be changed from default to
> "ntlm
> only" -> but this change would result in an securityhole!!!
>
> the same problem occurs while using the negotiate scheme and
> auth_param negotiate program
> c:/squid/libexec/mswin_negotiate_auth.exe
>
> my fazit:
> user authentication with squidnt 2.7 in an 2008r2/win7 environment,
> is not
> possible without security impact.

 Um, "SquidNT 2.7" was a copyright infringing trojan built from Squid
 sources. I hope you mean the Acme packaged build of "Squid 2.7" for
 Windows. "SquidNT" also being the internal alpha code name which was
 dropped when the Windows support was merged to the stable releases of
 Squid.

> is this right? or can anbody provide an workaround to the described
> problem?

 Since the Win2008 default is Kerberos authentication (AKA
 negoiate/Kerberos) rather than NTLM the use of mswin_ntlm_auth.exe is
 itself a/the security hole in a manner of speaking.

 mswin_negotiate_auth.exe uses the Windows native APIs to do Kerberos,
 so should work. But 2.7 is a bit old and there may be some small API
 updates needed since it was released. You may want to contact Guido at
 Acme for support.

 HTH
 Amos