Re: [squid-users] ¡ problem with video loadingtime on www.svtplay.se !

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:47:50 +1300

On 21/11/2011 11:23 p.m., Martin Lindkvist wrote:
> Svtplay is swedens state owned tv channel.
> I have used the following syntax to tell squid to not cache http://svtplay.se
> ##
> acl svtplay dst_domain http://svtplay.se

"http://" is not part of the domain FQDN. That should be:

   acl svtplay dstdomain svtplay.se

Possibly with a '.' at the start of the domain name to catch all
sub-domains as well.

> cache deny svtplay
> ##
>
> What it looks like is that it is caching the full clip before it starts to streem it to my clients and that can take some time....
> I whant it to start stream the clip from the proxy to the client directly

*full* clip? or a configured range_offset amount?

I recall some earlier versions of 3.x doing full-download. That was
resolved about a year ago though.

It might also be a side effects of range_offset_limit if the client has
fast-forwarded into the video object. Note the comments below about
range requests and ETags being completely screwed up on this site. Squid
will have to download the whole file up to the FF position before
streaming can begin.

> One thing I allso have tought about is the memmory in my firewalls ... I thing that squid do need some memmory(thoug I have never seen any larms of that it was fully used)
> We use devil linux and have 1gb in ram... maby i would need some more?

Squid requires some few dozen MB for basic operations (relative to
traffic loads). The rest of RAM you throw at Squid is used to cache
popular objects in memory and store meta data about cached objects. This
can be as much or little as you want it to be.