Re: [squid-users] hey guise

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:03:19 +1300

On 22/11/2011 8:17 p.m., someone wrote:
> I want my squid to stop serving internet at specified times
>
> I ADDED THESE LINES TO MY CONF then ran Squid -k reconfigure
>
> acl hours time 06:00-23:00
>
> http_access allow hours
>
> yet it is now Mon Nov 21 23:16:10 PST 2011
>
> and squid is still serving up internet hot and fresh

... indicating that one of the other rules you failed to mention is
allowing access.

The whole list of http_access lines is one giant test "script" to
determine the allow/deny choice. Order is important. So is the full set
of lines.

> I didnt try completely restarting squid yet, but I have a suspicion that
> wont do it either

Maybe. Depends on the type of request is being serviced. http_access
only gets tested for *new* requests. Tunnels and long-polled chat
sessions can continue happily for days unless something interrupts tem.

> Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE8<---yes I know its a bit outdated but
> it works for me :)

"Works" is not really part of that equation. "Security vulnerability"
and "bugs" are more appropriate considerations.

Amos