Re: [squid-users] Yet another thread about problems with Internet Explorer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:04:36 +1300

On 24/11/2011 12:42 a.m., Antonio Gutiérrez Mayoral wrote:
> Hi there,
> We are having some troubles with Internet Explorer users using Squid.
> On the server:
>
> Squid: 2.6.7
> OS: Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 sp2
> RAM: 2 GB
>
> On the Client:
>
> IE Version: 8
> Using Identd auth
> Windows XP sp3
>
> The problem is: loading almost web pages over IE spends a lot of time,
> and "The program is not responding" in task manager in Windows.
> We dont have this problem across other browsers like Firefox or Google
> Chrome. Loading the site without proxy, load well (on all browsers).
>
> If I see the logs (tail -f access.log | grep IP), I can detect that
> using IE spends a lot of time
> after the logs shows up a set of lines of the request, this doesnt
> happens with other
> browsers. Also I see a lot of TCP_MISS the first time the page is
> loaded, and TCP_HITs
> after (except the dynamic content). My intution says that the problem
> is on the comunication between IE
> and squid.

Possibly. Looked at the traffic yet?

> Is there any issue related to IE, or there is a preferred
> configuration for this browser? In this case,
> could you give me a pointer to recheck all my configuration?

Nothing specific. This is end-user software remember, where the people
in charge are often incapable of changing settings. Any configurable
workarounds are usually in Squid where the admin/users have more
knowledge and ability.

IIRC the one that used to come up often was the IE setting about sending
HTTP/1.1 version to the proxy. Note that squid-2.6 is HTTP/1.0-only
software with very limited 1.1 abilities (only around 20-40% of the RFC
2616 features supported).

Amos