Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy TCP_REFRESH_FAIL_HIT

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 01:16:03 +1300

On 25/11/2011 12:12 a.m., Anandha V wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> We have configured reverse proxy as follows
>
> Client-----Squid---origin server (expire header set for 7 days)
>
> We get TCP_MISS for first request
>
> When refreshed in browser we are getting TCP_REFRESH_FAIL_HIT.instead
> of TCP_HIT.
>
> Can any one explain why this behaviour ?

Apache returned a fatal 5xx status or TCP disconnection when asked for
revalidation of the object. For some reason Squid believes the object is
permitted to be served if stale.

Stale responses are permitted by the HTTP/1.1 protocol under some
circumstances like this.

> Whether squid does not honour Expire set in Apache?

This is a reverse proxy. Squid is the "web server" in absence of Apache
and can choose to send stale objects to the client.

You can use the tool at redbot.org to get info on cacheability about the
URL in question.

Amos