Re: [squid-users] Disk selection consideration

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:16:15 +1300

On 22/12/2011 7:25 p.m., Benjamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While we are planning for fast disk, h/w vendor tells that for
> SAS(15k) they suggest raid controller.But as per squid , they do not
> suggest RAID terminology.So suppose if we use disks as normal each
> single disk rather than as single raid ( bunch of disk) with raid
> controller, is has any performance impact?
>
> What is best for disk ? each disk as single disk or need to go with
> raid controller with as a raid ( bunch of disks) ?
> Kindly suggest us, what is the better option while planing for h/w
> selection.?
>
> Thanks,
> Benjamin

As Chai Wei said, RAID on the OS partition for system protection. But
For the Squid cache_dir individual disks.

On a high performance install such as the one you are aiming for Squid
will push the disks to their hardware I/O limits, RAID just gets in the
way. If you have to use RAID at all (SAN situations) make sure it has a
high performance hardware controller and is set to the RAID type with
lowest possible overheads.

Amos