Re: [squid-users] always_direct directive

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:46:41 +1300

 On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:22:22 +0100, Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi
>
> My Squid proxy (squid-2.6.STABLE21) is the first proxy part of
> hirarchy that clients on the network hit. I have client on the LAN
> that is having problems with one of the upstream proxies when
> accessing a specific web server on the internet (I have no control of
> the upstream proxy). I want to let that specific client bypass the
> proxy hirarchy when accessing that specific web server.
>
> I've tried to setup 2 acls: "acl src_client src 192.168.1.88" and
> "acl
> dst_server dstdomain www.example.com" and then put both acls in the
> same always_direct rule: "always_direct allow src_client dst_server",
> but it didn't work (though it didn't complain about the
> misconfiguration...). I was hoping that always_direct will work the
> same way that http_access works and accept multiple acls.

 It does.

> How can I setup Squid to always_direct from a specific host to a
> specific server?

 You misunderstand the directives meaning.
 "DIRECT" access is the term for Squid using a DNS lookup to fetch the
 response data from one of the DNS listed origin servers. "always_direct
 allow" forces Squid to always use DNS (DIRECT access) in such a way,
 ignoring any cache_peer directives you may have configured to pass
 traffic to upstream/parent or sibling proxies.

 To bypass the Squid hierarchy you must alter the PAC script, or
 interception (NAT, WCCP) rules you are using to pass requests to Squid.

 Amos