Re: [squid-users] SQUID Reverse Proxy not forwarding requests to Apache web server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:31:45 +1300

On 3/01/2012 7:33 a.m., Roman Gelfand wrote:
> Now, you got me curious.
>
> k.. I would the reverse proxy to control which server a web request
> 1) in case of https, forwarded to a web server box based on path 2)
> in case of http, forwarded based on url and/or path.

Once the request is inside a reverse-proxy it does not matter if it is
HTTP or HTTPS, the encryption stops at the receiving https_port. If you
really need to make decisions based on received protocol type you can
configure an ACL (acl HTTPS proto HTTPS) and use "HTTPS" in your access
controls as needed.

> Please, let me know if this is doable with squid. If so, by all
> means, I would like to use squid. If you, have an example, I would
> greatly appreciate it.
>
> BTW... if 2) could be done with ssl, I would appreciate an example.

Sure it is. The classic example as in:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/MultipleWebservers

using path details to decide between peers is shown at the end of the
page under "Other Criteria than Domain". How to add the HTTPS acl
mentioned above should be obvious.

There is a full config example with the specific details for setting up
OWA as a peer server at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/OutlookWebAccess.
Exchange is somewhat delicate in what it expects and can handle, so be
very careful about changing details on the cache_peer line from what is
shown in the example.

Amos