Re: [squid-users] do store.log SWAPOUT entries indicate comprehensive list of cached urls?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 15:42:54 +1300

On 7/01/2012 7:35 a.m., Saiteja Peddinti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Store.log gives the list of cached urls which have been stored on disk. If I want the list of cached urls, can I just follow the SWAPOUT entries in the store.log?

cached ever, yes.

cached now, no.
If you want a comprehensive list of all things cached now use the cache
manager "objects" and "vm_objects" reports.

> Are there any urls which are cached by squid but are not indicated in the store.log with a SWAPOUT entry (i.e. is it possible that urls are cached in memory, but are not swapped to disk)?

Your first statement answers your second question. "which have been
stored on disk"

> Similar to access.log, is it possible to pipe the store.log entries into a pipe and receive them on another listening process on the same host?

No store.log is a log for maintenance debugging of problems in the
storage cache. Not a long term record.

> For my application, I want to get all urls currently added to cache by squid and obtain the url content from squid immediately (posing as a web client). Is it possible to achieve by piping the store.log entries?

No. It is possible to achieve using a custom access.log though. Add the
header "Cache-Control: only-if-cached" to your agents requests, and do
not log requests made by that agent to the log being used by it.

Oh, and why do you need to do this in the first place? it will cut your
network performance in half.

Amos