Re: [squid-users] squid mib information

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:25:56 +1300

 On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 21:09:58 +0530, Ben wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Thanks for your kind response.
>> On 7/01/2012 8:32 p.m., Ben wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We would like to use squid snmp mibs to get statistics of squid
>>> performance and cache gain.
>>>
>>> We are using squid-3.1.10.By reference
>>> ofhttp://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Snmp
>>>
>>> We have a list of OIDs information in one line.Can we have any
>>> document which provide more details regarding each OIDs. Some OIDs
>>> are confusing.So if we have a document which provides more details
>>> about them that is much helpful to understand them in appropriate
>>> meaning.
>>
>> There is no better documentation than that page. Unless you are one
>> of the rare people able to read MIB files without getting confused. In
>> which case the MIB.txt can be found in the Squid sources.
>>

>>> Some of are OIDs, which we decided to use with mrtg to get cache
>>> gain, bandwidth saving statistics from squid.
>>>

>>> *.1.3.2.1.2.0 cacheHttpHits Counter32 2.0+ Number of HTTP Hits
>>>
>>> It provided url cache hit , my percaption is right?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> *.1.3.2.1.4.0 cacheHttpInKb Counter32 2.0+ Number of HTTP KB's
>>> received
>>>
>>> It says that how many traffic comes from internet to squid , my
>>> perception is right?
>>>

>> No. Received by Squid from clients.
>>

>>> *.1.3.2.1.5.0 cacheHttpOutKb Counter32 2.0+ Number of HTTP KB's
>>> transmitted
>>>
>>> It says that how many traffic goes out from squid to internet , my
>>> perception is right?
>>
>> No. Sent by Squid to clients.
>>

>>> *.1.3.2.1.13.0 cacheServerOutKb Counter32 2.0+ KB's of traffic sent
>>> to servers
>>>
>>> what does it says ?
>>>

>> "KB's of traffic sent to servers ". I think you already know what a
>> server is.
>>
> server means squid itself, right? internet to squid ( in traffic )

 No. This is all described from Squids viewpoint of the network. Being a
 proxy squid has contact with both clients and servers external to
 itself.
  ie client <-> squid <-> server

 "server" in this is according to the client-server networking concept
 description, and is any source of data Squid uses outside of itself. Web
 server, other proxy server, web application server, ftp server, gopher
 server, SHOUTcast server, etc. see
 http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%e2%80%93server_model for more details.

 Don't get hung up on the word "internet". Every home users PC when
 plugged in is part of The Internet. The fact that *most* servers will be
 outside your network is a minor detail. Some will likely be internal, it
 just depends on where the clients (aka "user" or "browser") want to
 fetch data from.

 Amos