Re: [squid-users] HTTP acceleration

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:40:54 +1300

On 18/01/2012 10:20 p.m., Rajeev Bansal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need some information, actually I am tying to use squid on my
> gateway computer, so that it can help me in HTTP/FTP traffic
> acceleration. I am not looking for HTTP pipelining acceleration,as in
> my scenario I will be downloading the huge amount of data over the
> HTTP/FTP instead of simple webpage browsing. So I thought, to enhance
> the Squid, in such a way that at WAN side, squid can open the multiple
> TCP connections and download the requested data faster and can pass it
> to the client who initiated the download request. Theoretically it
> feels like opening multiple connections at the WAN side to web server,
> should help in HTTP download acceleration, but I am not sure if
> practically it will really help. If someone has, some idea please
> throw some light on it.
>

> Thanks,
> Rajeev

Um. Squid is not advertised as an accelerator and there is no speed
acceleration as such in Squid. Quite the opposite at times.

What Squid does is HTTP *optimization* as it proxies. Any speed increase
is only a side effect of de-duplicating or caching requests from
multiple users down into fewer unique requests to the backend. Or making
use of HTTP features to avoid TCP delays.

That can reduce the total bandwidth used and make it *seem* faster to
the repeat visitors who get a local response based on some earlier
cached request. But with a proxy dedicated to one suer there is often
very little acceleration to be found. The modern browsers can do as much
or more than Squid for one user.

Lookup how your browser configures its "connections to server" setting.
That will do what you want regardless of whether you use Squid or not.

Amos