Re: [squid-users] Re: HTTP acceleration

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 02:58:36 +1300

On 20/01/2012 11:57 p.m., Rajeev Bansal wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Thanks a lot for addressing the query. I understand, modern browser
> can help in HTTP acceleration by opening the multiple TCP connection,
> but as per my understanding that will only help in loading the web
> page fast as a page may have multiple small objects which browser can
> retrieve faster in multiple connections or doing the HTTP pipelining.
> But do you think browser can be helpful in accelerating a big file
> download (say 50M), because browser will perform the big file download
> over the single connection.

"acceleration" and speed is a factor of distance to the data source. The
purpose of a cache is to move the data source from some remote server to
the close cache machine. Everything you do that decreases proxy caching
harms "acceleration".

Squid today can only cache whole objects. So breaking it into small
pieces on multiple connections harms the caching.

> If I want to accelerate the bigger file download in the proxy (like
> Squid) without modifying the client browser, do you think opening the
> multiple TCP connections and downloading the different ranges of the
> file can help in acceleration.

Why do you ask this now? Your first post was telling us how badly the
download manager (which did this) was affecting the network and proxy.

Sending more packets at once does not make the line/wire capacity
larger. Just fills it up more and reduces the space available for other
things or other clients.

Amos