Re: [squid-users] Internet Explorer caching problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:27:09 +1300

On 28/01/2012 8:22 a.m., Andy Nagai wrote:
> We have the response header set to turn off cache for certain pages.
>
> Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store
> Expires: -1
> Pragma: no-cache
>
> This seems to work fine in all browsers except IE 8.
>
> Certain pages will be retreived from cache when going back to it a second
> time when it should be refreshing. Then when going to page a third time it
> refreshes. These are dynamic pages. So If I do a back arrow to page will
> show the cached version. Then if I do a reload it will refresh. I have
> browser set to get new page each time.

No it should not be refreshing. There should be nothing cached to do a
refresh on. That is what "no-store" means.

Those controls apply to *all* caches the response passes through. The
Squid cache as well as the IE8 cache.

> I know this is a reverse proxy issue because when I view same page in
> sub-domain that does not have squid active there is no caching problem.

This is not a good test. It could also be related to the URL somehow.

> I don't see this odd behavior in Firefox or chrome. They always hit the
> server for new pages each time no matter if I hit the back arrow or not.

This is a very strong sign that it is IE8's fault, not the proxy.

If you provide your whole config (without the comment lines) and the
exact URL which is failing we can double check whether there is anything
there which could cause it.

Amos