Re: [squid-users] How many proxies to run?

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:58:09 +0000

On 13/01/2012 13:29, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 12/01/2012 19:58, Gerson Barreiros wrote:
>> I have an unique server doing this job. My scenario is most the same
>> as mentioned above.
>>
>> I just want to know if i can make this server a Virtual Machine, that
>> will use shared hard disk / memory / cpu with another VMs.
> web proxy on a vm is not the best choice in a mass load environment.
> you can use on a vm but in most cases it will mean lower performances.
>
> i have a place with 40Mbps atm line that is using 2 squid servers on a
> vm and it works fine.
> another one is an ISP with 4 machines with a total of 800Mbps output
> to the clients.
>
> statistics is one of the musts before getting a conclusion.
>
> Eliezer

I quite like Linux-vservers for my "virtualisation" solution. It's
basically a kind of fancy chroot with kernel enhancements to make the
separation almost as complete as full virtualisation. Since it IS
basically just a chroot, you are still running on bare metal and there
is no virtualisation overhead as such.

For my requirements it works very nicely and I don't have any needs that
mean I need a full virtualisation solution (KVM, etc). The main reasons
a "container" solution such as linux-vservers isn't suitable is when you
need full separation from host OS, eg kernel version is important, or
where hardware virtualisation is useful (although there are ways to kind
of virtualise the network card with vservers), also where you need
features of an enterprise virtualisation solution, so as live
migration. On the flip side, the performance is very high with a
container solution and my "machines" "boot" in 1-2 seconds, so it's
really very easy for me to manage without a full virtualisation solution

Good luck

Ed W