Re: [squid-users] Specs for Linux machine

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:50:32 +1300

On 01.02.2012 11:26, cielo rosso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read the information at
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BestOsForSquid%c2%a0and I'm wondering what's
> the average number of hard drives and the amount of physical memory
> that people have in their setup.

Average? of all 300K+ squid installations around the world? Getting
that data is rather difficult and not all that useful.

0-4 HDD work well, beyond 4 you get into reduced economies of scale
regarding disk controller overheads and/or other factors. Still an
upward performance trend AFAIK, but reducing in gain with each drive
added.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks

> Also, somebody suggested to me to use SATA rather then SCSI. Any
> thoughts about that?

Faster the better of course. Beyond that it is a matter of budget
rather than "best". Squid uses the OS APIs to access disks and is rather
agnostic as to their types.

Amos