Re: [squid-users] Squid/NTLM and site timeouts

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 02:55:15 +1300

On 12/02/2012 2:30 a.m., Jason Gauthier wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a Squid and NTLM implementation. I've had one for years, and always have been pretty pleased with it. There has always been one quirk, and I've decided to ask about it in case there is a known solution.
>
> Typically, NTLM requires a back and forth of authentication. Whenever a site is very slow to respond, or down and times out, my browsers display an authentication prompt to the end user. I noticed this happens sometimes, even, after the full page is loaded, and an advertisement or some other element takes a long time to load.

This behaviour sounds more like the slowness is being caused by NTLM
itself being slow or failing. The domain lookups and connections do not
even start to happen until NTLM login to the proxy is already
successfully completed.

The prompt is a browser feature. Squid has nothing to do with it besides
the coincidence that the browser may choose to do it whenever Squid asks
for credentials. The modern ones usually only try it after automatic
logins like NTLM have been tried and failed.

Amos