[squid-users] HTTP 407 responses

From: Mr J Potter <jpotter833_at_because.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:15:39 +0000

Hi team,

I'm trying to set up an authenticating squid proxy with a nice login box
rather than the one the browser pops up with a HTTP 407 request... Does
anyone know how to do this? The main reasons for this are (1) to make it
look nice (2) so that I don't have to tell people to put in DOMAIN\user
into the box, (3) put some instructions as to what is going on and (4) to
add a limited guest login option.

This is where I am so far...

- I've got NTLM authentication working
- I've got a nice login page in ERR_CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED
and ERR_ACCESS_DENIED
- I've still got to write the bit to authenticate people, but I'm not too
worried about that.

Highlights from my squid.conf file looks like this:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 45

acl authdUsers proxy_auth REQUIRED

http_access deny !authdUsers ### Kicks up a 407 request
http_access deny all

The second last line is the tricky one - I can see why the line

http_access allow authdUsers

would trigger a 407 request, but I'd hoped the deny ! option would get
around this.

Any ideas? I've promised I'll get this going be the end of the week...

any help would be really handy.

thanks

Jim Potter
UK