Re: [squid-users] finding the bottleneck

From: Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz <luis.daniel.lucio_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:26:33 -0600

Comments, behind...

Le 12 janvier 2012 06:53, E.S. Rosenberg <esr_at_g.jct.ac.il> a écrit :
> 2012/1/11 jeffrey j donovan <donovan_at_beth.k12.pa.us>:
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2012, at 7:45 AM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> We run a setup where our users are passing through 0-2 proxies before
>>> reaching the Internet:
>>> - https 0
>>> - http transparent 1 (soon also 2)
>>> - http authenticated 2
>>>
>>> Lately we are experiencing some (extreme) slowness even-though the
>>> load on the line is only about half the available bandwidth, we know
>>> that on the ISP side our traffic is also passing through all kinds of
>>> proxies/filters etc.
So , your ISP does extra filtering? (just to state clear)

>>> I would like to somehow be able to see where the slowdowns are
>>> happening to rule out that it's not our side at fault, but I don't
>>> really know what tool/tools I could use to see what is going on here.
Have you identify what kind of traffic is slow and what it is not?
This is very important.

>>> We suspect that the slowness may be related to the ISP doing
>>> Man-in-the-Middle on non-banking SSL traffic (as per request of
>>> management), but I really want to rule our side out first....
This statement is almost impossible, if they were all your HTTPS
conexion will comply about certificate issues. Is that happens?

>>> Thanks,
>>> Eli
>>

>> Hi eli, are you caching ? or going direct.
>
> Hi, sorry for the slow reply.
> We are doing some caching, so far we have not optimized it, Calamaris
> reports our efficiency between 6-10% on different proxies...
Too low, a good proxy shall give you 30% aprox.

> Thanks,
> Eliyahu - אליהו

LD