[squid-users] Caching in Afghanistan

From: <jbrodigan_at_gci.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 01:56:12 -0900 (AKST)

Hello there everyone, I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and have
recently set up a VSAT connection with approximately 18 users at peak.
Not a large number of users however in our remote location a simple
opening of a page with full user activity can slow things down to a near
halt. I've been trying to do research on a caching server that would
cache web images so that commonly opened websites would use LAN
bandwidth rather then the VSAT bandwidth. I'll list the following setup
I have for the 3 living quarter buildings, I'm not sure what exactly I
need to do hardware/software wise but I was recommended to check this
service out so hopefully you guys can let me know if Squid is exactly
what I'm looking for:

-> BLDG 43 Router DHCP Disabled, 7 Users
VSAT Hardware -> x3 iDirect Router Modem -> Cisco PoE-48 Port Switch ->
BLDG 42 Direct from Switch, 6 to 7 Users

-> BLDG 41 Unmanaged-Switch, 5 Users

The VSAT -> Router Modem connection is connected by a Rx and Tx Coaxial
line (RG6). All other connections are Cat5e.

I really do appreciate any help that is given. Thank you in advance

-SGT B.