Re: [squid-users] Caching in Afghanistan

From: Pieter De Wit <pieter_at_insync.za.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:37:29 +1300

On 18/02/2012 23:56, jbrodigan_at_gci.net wrote:
> Hello there everyone, I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and have
> recently set up a VSAT connection with approximately 18 users at peak.
> Not a large number of users however in our remote location a simple
> opening of a page with full user activity can slow things down to a
> near halt. I've been trying to do research on a caching server that
> would cache web images so that commonly opened websites would use LAN
> bandwidth rather then the VSAT bandwidth. I'll list the following
> setup I have for the 3 living quarter buildings, I'm not sure what
> exactly I need to do hardware/software wise but I was recommended to
> check this service out so hopefully you guys can let me know if Squid
> is exactly what I'm looking for:
>

> -> BLDG 43 Router DHCP Disabled, 7 Users
> VSAT Hardware -> x3 iDirect Router Modem -> Cisco PoE-48 Port Switch
> -> BLDG 42 Direct from Switch, 6 to 7 Users
>
> -> BLDG 41 Unmanaged-Switch, 5 Users
>

> The VSAT -> Router Modem connection is connected by a Rx and Tx
> Coaxial line (RG6). All other connections are Cat5e.
>
> I really do appreciate any help that is given. Thank you in advance
>
> -SGT B.
Hi,

I would say Squid will help a lot. I would put down a full Linux box,
put bind,dhcpd (for 18 people this might be an overkill) and Squid on
there. I would setup the box in a transparent proxy mode. I would put
the bind server in caching mode.

Hardware wise, you won't need much. Take what you can get your hands on.
More memory, fast disks (and spindles over space) is good. Given the
size/speed of the link and the number of users, a desktop type PC will
even do the trick.

Hope that helps !

Pieter