Re: [squid-users] squid 2.7/AUFS/Only READS are async ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:45:40 +1300

On 21.02.2012 09:46, babajaga wrote:
> I switched from ufs to aufs, and recognized, that using cachemgr,
> "ASYNC IO
> Counters" always show
> "write:0", athough the other counters for read, unlink etc. have high
> values.
> Digging into the source code, in /src/fs/aufs/store_asyncufs.h, I
> found
>
> #define ASYNC_WRITE 0
>
> obviously disabling async writes.
>
> Is it disabled because being broken/unstable, or any other reason ?

This is the reason we still say diskd is fastest on BSD but AUFS is
faster on Linux.

As I heard the story the write handlers are not designed to work
properly as async handlers yet. That could be wrong so you are welcome
to experiment, but I would advise against enabling it for production
before some good testing.

Patches on 3.2 or 3.HEAD/(3.3) are welcome. 2.7 is already scheduled
for deprecation with 3.2 release so patches there will not be of much
use.

HTH
Amos