Re: [squid-users] what type of proxy do I need ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 05:52:02 +1300

On 3/03/2012 1:15 a.m., J. Bakshi wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 00:41:31 +1300
> Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> On 2/03/2012 11:37 p.m., J. Bakshi wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I have a debian server which works as a gateway as well as web server of our organization.
>>> We use the web server as local web development server. Hence the gateway and the web-server IP is same.
>>>
>>> I like to restrict some internet sites where squid becomes very handy. I have two problems here.
>>>
>>> [1] Can I configure squid such a way where it just operates on WAN ethernet card,
>> Please explain a bit about what you mean by "operates on WAN ethernet
>> card". The card does not run software, so you can't be meaning the
>> obvious interpretation.
> Actually the local gateway ( also the development server ) has two lan card.
> One is connected with LAN and the other is with WAN

I mean,
  do you want squid to listen on it for external traffic?
  do you want to catch traffic arriving in via it?
  do you want to catch traffic leaving via it?
  any/all of the above?

You mentioned internal LAN users. But what about the rest.

>>> without any
>>> required settings from user-end ?
>> Yes. But _how_ depends on where the users are.
>>
> The users are both linux and window users.

I mean "where" as in:
  Internal / LAN user?
  external / WAN users?
  random strangers visiting your web server?

All the questsions you need to consider anyway when designing the
security access permissions in squid.conf.

Amos