Re: [squid-users] Roadmap Squid 3.2

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:15:38 +1300

On 06.03.2012 02:07, FredB wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Amos, like I said in bug report, Squid 3.2 is very stable with your
> last fix, and Alex's patch which is not already included in truck,
> and
> I would like to know the schedule for an official stable release,
> approximately of course (before this summer, end of year ?)

The checklist I have to work by is at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ReleaseProcess#Squid-3
We are looping around at the "freeze" stage (3), waiting to reach 0
major+ bugs before we can start the stable release countdown stages
(4+).

We are intending 3.2 to supersede and obsolete all 3.x and 2.x series
releases. Which means there are just over 50 bugs rated major or higher
which need to be confirmed as fixed in 3.2, or downgraded before 3.2 can
start its stability countdown.

   A lot of these bugs, particularly 2.x ones, just need somebody to
check and verify that the described behaviour is not reproducible in 3.2
anymore. At which point they can be closed against target of 3.2.
Another half dozen or so got closed this month, but there are many more
to go.

   This is a task nearly anyone can do. You just need a network setup
similar to the reporters.

Anyone interested in a bug marathon for the next 6-8 weeks?

> I had reported some problems with rock store but maybe it can be
> consider like an experimental feature for the moment ?

It is experimental until there has been at least one stable cycle of
wide use to wrinkle out any minor bugs and edge cases. If the bug you
have reported can be considered normal or lower then it will not block
the stable release. Keeping in mind that the shared memory change is a
feature affecting everybody, so the precise location of the bug impacts
its importance a lot.

Amos