Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid with more storage!

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:19:49 +0200

On 20/03/2012 18:07, GarethC wrote:
> Ghassan,
>
> I'm not sure adding additional hard drives will improve the performance of
> Squid a great deal, if you're caching a lot of large objects over a long
> period of time then it may prove beneficial. But if you're looking for
> performance you would be better investing in more memory, if you can serve
> the majority of 'hot objects' (frequently accessed pages / content) from
> memory your response times will improve greatly. The response time for
> retrieving an object from disk will be much greater due to the overhead in
> disk / controller I/O.
maybe it will be slower then ram but a 15k sas drives will speed up the
HDD doubles two the SATA ones.
in any way on a busy network with a log of objects it worth every peny!!
on a cache of a friend he used SATA drives for a very busy network and
there was a lot of difference between the 15k SAS to the 7.2K SATA drives.

Regards,
Eliezer