Re: [squid-users] limiting connections

From: Carlos Manuel Trepeu Pupo <charlie.mtp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:35:09 -0400

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM, H <hm_at_hm.net.br> wrote:

>> I pretend solve bandwidth problems. For the persons who uses download
>> manager or accelerators, just limit them to 1 connection. Otherwise I
>> tried to solve with delay_pool, the packet that I delivery to the
>> client was just like I configured, but with accelerators the upload
>> saturate the channel.
>>

> since you did not say what OS youŕe running I can give you only some
> direction, any or most Unix firewall can solve this easy, if you use
> Linux you may like pf with FBSD you should go with ipfw, the latter
> probably is easier to understand but for both you will find zillions of
> examples on the net, look for short setups

Sorry, I forgot !! Squid is in Debian 6.0 32 bits. My firewall is
Kerio but in Windows, and i'm not so glad to use it !!!

> first you "divide" your bandwidth between your users

First I search about the dynamic bandwidth with Squid, but squid do
not do this, and them after many search I just find ISA Server with a
third-party plugin, but I prefer linux.

> if you use TPROXy you can devide/limit the bandwidth on the outside
> interface in order to limit only access to the link but if squid has the
> object in cache it might go out as fast as it can
>
> you still can manage the bandwidth pool with delay parameters if you wish

I tried with delay_pool, but the delay_pool just manage the download
average, and not the upload, I need the both. The last time I tried
with delay_pool the "download accelerator" download at the speed that
I specify, but the proxy consume all channel with the download,
something that I never understand.

> I guess you meant downlaod accelerator, not manager, you can then limit
> the connection rate within the bandwidth for each user and each
> protocol, for DL-accelerator you should pay attention to udp packages as
> well, you did not say how much user and bandwdith you have but limit the
> tcp connection to 25 and udp to 40 to begin with, then test it until
> coming to something what suites your wish

I have 128 kbps, and I have no idea about the UDP packages !!! That's
new for me !! Any documentation that I can read ???

> you still could check which DLaccel your people are using and then limit
> or block only this P2P ports which used to be very effective

Even if I do not permit "CONNECT" the users can use P2P ports ??

Thanks for this, I can get clear many question about squid that I have !!!