[squid-users] NTLM, non-domain machines and keep-alive

From: Harry Mills <harry_at_mad-cat.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:19:07 +0100

Hi,

I have been trying to iron our a few issues we are having with NTLM
authentication on our network for machines which are not domain members:

Windows 2008R2 AD domain
RHEL 6.1
squid-3.1.10-1
samba-3.5.6-86
Internet Explorer 7,8

We are in the process of moving to Kerberos authentication, and the test
squid we have running is working well, however, when presented with the
negotiate option for auth, IE will choose NTLM rather than basic when it
is not a member of the domain.

I have reduced the config for squid down to just offering NTLM
authentication to help me debug an issue with pop up boxes. I have also
written a wrapper around the ntlm_auth binary to strace the calls being
made when it is being executed.

NTLM authentication works without issue for domain members, however IE
(and Chrome) will both popup an authentication required box three times
before accepting the DOMAIN\Username and password.

Checking the wrapper around ntlm_auth, the process is only called by
squid after the last of the three authentication prompts is submitted by
the browser. Squid issues the expected two 407s to the browser which
appears to cause the browser to pop up the authentication window each
time, and on the third submission authentication succeeds.

The odd thing is, if I turn off keep-alive for ntlm in the squid.conf
then I still see the 407s being issued by squid, but I only get a single
authentication pop up from the browser, which when submitted with the
correct credentials is immediately accepted and authentication succeeds.

I am clearly missing something, because it states quite clearly that
NTLM _requires_ keep alive sockets as it is a connection orientated
mechanism, so perhaps my turning off keep-alive causes a basic-auth
fallback within ntlm_auth?

Is there a reason that IE presents 3 authentication boxes before
accepting credentials from a non-domain machine. If there is a reason,
is there a solution?

One thought I have had is that the majority of non-domain members will
be on a specific VLAN, and therefore have a specific IP subnet. Is it
possible to offer a different range of authentication options to the
clients based on a subnet acl, e.g. Kerb/NTLM for machines on
domain-member VLANS and just basic for guests (non-domain members)?

Regards,

Harry