Re: [squid-users] Using squid as transparent proxy causes problem with pages on https

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:11:58 +1200

On 11/04/2012 11:43 p.m., Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 11.04.12 16:01, Ahmed Talha Khan wrote:
>> So whats the advantage of the ssl_bump feature left then if it cannot
>> act as an ssl endpoint. Does squid not support ssl end-point
>> termination?

Yes. Squid supports ssl end-point termination ...

That is what the 's' in https_port means. Before anything else happens a
new connection gets SSL negotiated and decrypted using the certificate
details configured.

Now, take an HTTPS connection, decrypt it with an https_port end-point.
What is left that you expect ssl-bump to do exactly?

> I don't think so. Note that redirecting connection to your own machine
> and behave as the server is called "man-in-the-middle" attack, and it
> is a security breach. SSL was designed to make secret, encrypted
> end-to-end connection between browser and a final server and it should
> remain so.

Amos