Re: [squid-users] Extract session 5-tuples for HTTP requests in squid

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:29:25 +0200

ons 2012-04-18 klockan 14:03 +0500 skrev Ahmed Talha Khan:

> Thanks for the info. I am aware but that these are TCP level
> identifiers. I digged into it and saw that class HttpRequest has
> members client_ip, host_ip, port and my_addr. Client_ip is very
> obvious and i can see that the X-Client-IP field is populated with it.
> What about the following fields
>
> host_ip: is this the ip of the origin server to which the request is
> going? And will it remain same in the response?

Not sure. Can't find any host_ip in my sources. Which version are you
looking at?

But the destination server destination IP is not known until the request
is forwarded, and then only if the request is forwarded directly and not
via another proxy. Until then the destination is the requested host
name.

> port: is this the port from which the request originated? Source port
> of the request? What will be the value in response from the server?

port is the port number from parsing the requested URL.

> my_addr: This seems like the ip on which squid is listening. Correct
> me if i am wrong

Yes.

> How to get destination port. It is either http (80) or https(443). But
> how can i differentiate? How do i know what was the destination port
> of the request?

proxy requests are sent to the proxy, not the destination server. HTTP
requests are addressed by the requested URL not IP:PORT.

The URL tells which host name and port the request is targeted at.